The services listed below are the types of massage that we provide at Urban Massage. Click on the title to see a description of how each massage is performed.
Please cancel or reschedule your appointment by 8pm the night before your scheduled appointment time. Include your full name and the date and time of the appointment you wish to cancel or reschedule.
- Email Us email@example.com
- Call or Text Us 616.843.0730
Relax and unwind with a massage. Your therapist uses a variety of techniques during the massage to tailor the session to your needs. Light to medium pressure is used.
Choose from 30 min. / 55 min. / 85 min. / 2 hour sessions.
If you have any of these conditions, the therapist needs to know before the massage:
- Broken bones or Fractures
- Advanced diabetes (when signs of neuropathy exist)
- High Blood Pressure, HBP, Hypertension (if unstable or uncontrolled)
- Hemophilia or other blood/clotting disorders
- Current use of blood thinners
- Phlebitis, Thrombosis, DVT, Active blood clot
- Contagious conditions or infections (Colds, Flu, or Contagious skin conditions)
- Acute injuries (bruises/hematomas)
- Any unexplained swelling
- Any recent surgery (e.g., back, abdominal, hip, knee, or eye surgery)
During a deep tissue massage, your therapist will gradually increase pressure throughout the session, working deep into the muscle fibers. This type of massage is performed slowly and the pressure is gradually increased as the body allows.
As the nervous system relaxes throughout the massage, the muscle will release its tension and allow the therapist to work deeper into the muscle fibers.
Applying pressure too quickly during a deep tissue massage can result in a negative nervous system response and could potentially cause pain or bruising the next day. Deeper is not always better. Talk to your therapist to ensure that this technique is right for you.
* Abscess teeth (mouth work)
* Bone fractures or acute soft tissue injuries: wait for full healing (6 weeks - 3 months)
* Clients on Cortisone (wait 2-3 months)
* Feverish clients
* Hodgkin's disease (cancer of lymph system)
* Inflammatory conditions (includes such things as tendonitis and bursitis; contraindicated during acute stages; work peripheral to site possible when inflammation has subsided)
* Infectious conditions (with some exceptions, like HIV: get medical supervision)
* Osteoporosis (usually post-menopausal women)
* Phlebitis: same risk as for ‘embolism or thrombus’
* Recent scar tissue (including regular or plastic surgeries): no work on this area until scarring process is complete (usually at least 6 weeks)
"Ashi" meaning foot, "atsu" meaning pressure. The therapist uses bars secured above the massage table for stabilization, while applying deep pressure to the body with their sanitized feet.
The smooth, relaxing pressure applied during ashiatsu naturally increases mobilization in the joints, due to the deep compression of the surrounding muscle.
Ashiatsu has shown remarkable results from people suffering from:
- Chronic pain
- Limited mobility
- Recovery from injuries (whiplash, falls, sports, etc.)
- Repetitive strain injury, such as carpal tunnel syndrome
- Postural problems
- Ostearthritis pain
- Muscle tension or spasm
You should not get Ashiatsu if:
- You are pregnant or suspect being pregnant
- You've had breast implants within the past nine months
- Had recent eye surgery
- On prescription anticoagulants
- Have acute heart condition or high blood pressure
- Any acute inflammatory condition
- Certain cases of stenosis and spondylolisthesis
- Severe nerve root impingement.
A relaxing massage to reduce stress during a pregnancy. During a prenatal massage, you are positioned on your side with supportive pillows. The therapist will use light, medium or deep pressure depending on your needs.
Massage performed during pregnancy can:
- Reduce anxiety
- Decrease symptoms of depression
- Relieve muscle aches and joint pains
- Improve labor outcomes and newborn health
Women should first discuss massage with their prenatal care provider, especially with:
- High risk pregnancy
- PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension)
- Previous pre-term labor
- When experiencing severe swelling, high blood pressure, or sudden, severe headaches
- If you have recently given birth.
- Are pregnant
- Have high blood pressure, heart disease, uncontrolled diabetes, or varicose veins
ever 100F or higher
Cold (symptoms last 5 days or longer)
Acute system condition
Injury requiring medical attention
Intense or unexplained symptoms.
Cold stone therapy is the process of using chilled marble stones that have been specifically cut to shapes that can easily be applied on the face or body.
This is a wonderful modality for those suffering from tension headaches and migraines. Cold constricts the blood vessels in the body and which alleviates swelling. It promotes healing and reduces pain in the injured muscles and tissues.
Cold stones are placed gently around the face and neck, while the therapist very lightly massages the face and temples. Depending on the clients needs, heat may be applied to the feet to draw blood away from the head which will alleviate migraines and headaches.
Urban Massage is now proud to offer cold stone therapy! The following Cold Stone Therapy sessions are currently bookable with Caitlin, Dovie, Julia, Megan, Kelsey and Brianna.
Schedule a massage at the same time with your favorite person! Book a doubles massage. There are two different ways to book a doubles:
- If you want to be in the same room at the same time, we have one doubles room available. [Same room booking is unavailable for Hot Stone Massage and Prenatal Massage]
- If you don't mind being in separate rooms, but would prefer to come in at the same time, we have six single rooms available.
We recommend booking this service at least one week in advance to ensure therapist availability for your desired day and time.
Doubles massages are priced per person. See "regular" and "specialty" services on this page for per person pricing.
*Call to book/check availability 616-843-0730
* Online booking is unavailable for this service.
Yes, we also offer clothed table and chair mobile massage.
$80 per hour/per therapist
We are available for corporate events, bachelorette parties, retreats, sporting events and more. Almost everything except personal house calls.
To learn more about our mobile massage services, pricing or to contact us with questions regarding mobile massage please click here.
*Online booking is unavailable for this service.
No worries! Our staff members have experience with a variety of techniques. If you are looking for something specific that you don't see on this list, check the staff bio pages to see if someone has knowledge of the technique you are looking for. If you prefer, give us a call or email us and we will send out a message to our staff with your question.
If you want to book a massage but don't know what you are looking for or what type you want, just book a 'regular' massage service. Your therapist will work with you at the time of your appointment to determine the technique that best suits your needs.
We are here to help! :)